Huan-Ming Huang Research Group
Group Leader 丨 Research 丨 Publication 丨 The Group
Huan-Ming Huang (黄焕明), Assistant Professor (Tenure Track), Principal Investigator
Address: Building 3, 405-2, School of Physical Science and Technology, ShanghaiTech University
Researche ID: AAB-1528-2019
Career and Education:
2021-now, Assistant Professor (Tenure Track), Principal Investigator, ShanghaiTech University
2018-2021, Humboldt Fellow, University of Münster (Mentor: Prof. Frank Glorius)
2017-2018, EPSRC Postdoc Research Fellow, The University of Manchester (Mentor: Prof. David J. Procter)
2014-2017, Ph.D. at The University of Manchester (Supervisor: Prof. David J. Procter)
Selected Awards & Honors：
n Alexander von Humboldt Fellowship (2018)
n CSC Chinese National Excellent Self-Funded Students Scholarship (2016)
n Prestigious President's Scholarship of The University of Manchester (2014)
n Reviewer for Wiley, Cell Press, Elsevier and Royal Society of Chemistry journals, including:
n Angewandte Chemie n Chem.Commun. n Chemical Science n Chemistry European Journal n iScience
We are a young research team working in School of Physical Science and Technology at ShanghaiTech University. Our research is focused on radical chemistry and catalysis.
At present, we have two main research directions:
1) Develop novel radical chemistry in the emerging areas, such as photoredox chemistry and electrosynthesis, to rapid construct complex bio-active molecules and provide alternative approaches to the solve the limitations in the area of medicinal, materials, energy and environmental chemistry.
2) Rationally design novel catalysts and ligands in order to discovery novel chemical transformations and contribute the development of develop sustainable chemistry.
We are hiring!!!
We have several different positions about research assistant professor, postdocs, Ph.D. students, research assistants and visiting students are available!
If you are interested in chemistry, passion for science, self-motivation and hard-working, please send your CV with motivation letter to Dr. Huan-Ming Huang (firstname.lastname@example.org)
10. Jun-Jie Chen and Huan-Ming Huang*, N2O revalorization, Nature Chem. 2022, DOI: 10.1038/s41557-022-01007-x.
9. Huan-Ming Huang*, Electrifying cross-electrophile coupling, Nature Synth. 2022, DOI: 10.1038/s44160-022-00102-8. (News & Views)
n Free access link: https://rdcu.be/cQgl8
8. Ying Zhang,+ Jun-Jie Chen+ and Huan-Ming Huang*, Radical Brook Rearrangement: Concept and Recent Developments, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2022, DOI: 10.1002/anie.202205671.
7. Jun-Jie Chen,+ Ying Zhang+ and Huan-Ming Huang*, Radical umpolung chemistry enabled by dual catalysis: concept and recent advances, Catal. Sci. Technol. 2022, DOI: 10.1039/D2CY01161A.
n Invited Perspective
n Emerging Investigator Series
6. Jun-Jie Chen and Huan-Ming Huang*, Merging Halogen-Atom transfer with transition metal catalysis, Tetrahedron Lett., 2022, 153945.
n Invited digest paper
5. Huan-Ming Huang*,+ Peter Bellotti,+ Suhyeon Kim, Xiaolong Zhang and Frank Glorius*, “Catalytic multicomponent reaction involving a ketyl-type radical”, Nature Synth. 2022, DOI: 10.1038/s44160-022-00085-6.
n shared link https://rdcu.be/cPyvH
n Research Briefing - Harnessing ketyl-type radicals using palladium photocatalysis
n Highlighted by ShanghaiTech University https://www.shanghaitech.edu.cn/2022/0718/c1001a702904/page.htm
4. Peter Bellotti,+ Huan-Ming Huang,+ Teresa Faber, Ranjini Laskar and Frank Glorius*, “Catalytic deﬂuorinative ketyl–oleﬁn coupling by halogen-atom transfer”, Chem. Sci. 2022, DOI:10.1039/d2sc02732a.
3. Huan-Ming Huang*,+ Peter Bellotti,+ and Frank Glorius*, “Merging Carbonyl Addition with Photocatalysis”, Acc. Chem. Res. 2022, 55, 1135.
n Invited account
n Top 3 most downloaded papers in April 2022
n Highlighted by ShanghaiTech University
2. Huan-Ming Huang,+ Peter Bellotti,+ Johannes E. Erchinger, Tiffany O. Paulisch and Frank Glorius*, “Radical Carbonyl Umpolung Arylation via Dual Nickel Catalysis”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2022, 144, 1899.
n One of top 20 most read papers in Febuary 2022
1. Huan-Ming Huang,+ Peter Bellotti,+ Pan-Pan Chen,+ Kendall N. Houk* and Frank Glorius*, “Allylic C(sp3)–H arylation of olefins via ternary catalysis”, Nature Synth. 2022, 1, 59.
n Highlighted as news & views by Prof. Gomes (Nature Synth. 2022, 1, 13)
n WWU Press n Innovations Report n Chem Europe n Science Daily
Before joining ShanghaiTech
12. Huan-Ming Huang,‡ Peter Bellotti,‡(‡These authors contributed equally) and Frank Glorius*, “Bifunctional Reagents in Organic Synthesis”, Nat. Rev. Chem. 2021, 5, 301.
11. Huan-Ming Huang, Peter Bellotti, Constantin Daniliuc and Frank Glorius*, “Radical Carbonyl Propargylation by Dual Catalysis”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2021, 60, 2464.
10. Huan-Ming Huang,‡ Peter Bellotti,‡ (‡These authors contributed equally) and Frank Glorius*, “Transition-metal catalysed allylic functionalization reaction involving radicals”, Chem. Soc. Rev. 2020, 49, 6186.
9. Huan-Ming Huang, Peter Bellotti, Philipp Miro Pflueger, J. Luca Schwarz, Bastian Heidrich and Frank Glorius*, “Three-Component, Interrupted Radical Heck/Allylic Substitution Cascade Involving Unactivated Alkyl Bromides”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2020, 142, 10173.
n Top 20 most read article in May and June, 2020
n Highlighted by Prof. Knochel in Synfacts 2020,16(08): 0932
8. Huan-Ming Huang, Maximilian Koy, Eloisa Serrano, Philipp Miro Pflüger, J. Luca Schwarz and Frank Glorius*, “Catalytic radical generation of π-allylpalladium complexes”, Nat. Catal. 2020, 3, 393.
7. J. Luca Schwarz,‡Huan-Ming Huang,‡ (‡These authors contributed equally) Tiffany O. Paulisch, and Frank Glorius*, “Dialkylation of 1,3-Dienes by Dual Photoredox and Chromium Catalysis”, ACS Catal. 2020, 10, 1621.
n Highlighted by Prof. Mark Lautens in Synfacts 2020; 16(04): 0426
6. Huan-Ming Huang, Monserrat H. Garduño-Castro, Charlotte Morrill and David J. Procter*, “Catalytic Cascade Reactions by Radical Relay”, Chem. Soc. Rev. 2019, 48, 4626.
5. Huan-Ming Huang, J. J. W. McDouall, and David J. Procter*, “SmI2-catalysed Cyclisation Cascades by Radical Relay”,Nat. Catal. 2019, 2, 211.
n Highlighted by chief editor, Nat. Rev. Chem 2019, 3, 131
4. Huan-Ming Huang, J. J. W. McDouall and David J. Procter*, “Radical Anions from Urea-type Carbonyls: Radical Cyclisations and Cyclisation Cascades”,Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2018, 57, 4995.
3. Huan-Ming Huang and David J. Procter*, “Dearomatizing Radical Cyclisations and Cyclisation Cascades Triggered by Electron-Transfer Reduction of Amide-Type Carbonyls”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 1661.
2. Huan-Ming Huang and David J. Procter*, “Radical Heterocyclisation and Heterocyclisation Cascades Triggered by Electron Transfer to Amide-Type Carbonyls”, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2017, 56, 14262.
1. Huan-Ming Huang and David J. Procter*, “Radical-Radical Cyclisation Cascades of Barbiturates Triggered by Electron-Transfer Reduction of Amide-Type Carbonyls”, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2016, 138, 7770.
n Highlighted in an ACS select virtual special issue on radical chemistry, 2017 by Prof. Samir Zard