钟超 Chao Zhong课题组介绍
钟老师实验室以生物灵感工程准则为主线，以当代社会所面临的健康，能源和环境等方面的重大问题为导向，致力于下一代生物灵感材料，生物纳米技术或装置的开发和实际应用。具体包括以下几方面：1）生物和非生物界面交叉问题的探索以及相关前沿技术的开发； 2）发展新型的生物灵感性材料，生物仿生纳米技术及其在医药和其他重要技术领域的应用； 3）基于分子，细胞和组织等多级别的生物灵感分子器件和装置的开发及应用。
The Zhong lab at the Materials and Physical Biology Division in the School of Physical Science & Technology (SPST) aims to leverage the power of synthetic biology to develop an integrative bio-inspired molecular engineering (IBME) program, through which new materials, nanotechnologies and devices are created by adapting and applying the ways that living organisms develop and function. The ultimate goal of our research is to create stimuli-responsive, self-regenerating and life-enhancing functional materials and devices by integrating synthetic biology, microbial engineering, materials science, nanotechnology and modern manufacturing tools.
Our current research efforts are mainly focused on structural amyloids, emerging molecular materials with attributes including intrinsic self-assembly, ultra-stability, outstanding mechanical properties and tunable functionalities. Traditionally considered as mis-folded structures relevant to several neurodegenerative diseases in mammals, amyloids have been increasingly recognized as functional building blocks in organisms. For example, they are closely associated with the catalysis of melanin synthesis in mammalian melanosomes; they also constitute the primary structural proteins in bacterial biofilms, and functional components of underwater adhesives in marine species.
Taking inspiration from biology, our research program in harnessing functional amyloids for new biomaterials and bionanotechnologies comprise four main thrusts:
(1) Living Functional Materials;
(2) Bio-inspired Underwater Adhesives;
(3) Dynamic Complex Assemblies and Biofabrication;
(4) Biofilms-interfaced Biocatalysis & Artificial Photosynthesis.
Our research is committed to advancing the emerging field of synthetic biology and pushing new frontiers in biomaterials research and bionanotechnologies.
(1) Living Functional Materials
Stay Tuned ! ：）
(2) Bio-inspired Underwater Adhesives
Stay Tuned ! ：）
(3) Dynamic Complex Assemblies and Biofabrication
Biological materials and systems are replete with diverse self-assemblies, including both non-equilibrium and equilibrium systems. Self-assemblies constitute the basis of many complex supramolecular structures, providing extraordinary functional properties and playing important physiological roles for various molecular materials and biological machines. Characteristic of such biological self-assemblies is its dynamic, adaptive, and environmentally responsive nature, providing an unparalleled potential for a future repertoire of multifunctional materials and nanotechnologies.
In mimicking the diverse complex assembling systems in nature, we leveraged the intrinsic self-assembling propensity of the FUS LC domain, along with a modular genetic strategy, to construct tailor-designed supramolecular structures with variable functionalities. We demonstrate that this integrative strategy is suitable for creating random copolymer-like, multi-block, and self-sorted supramolecular fibers that displayed distinct fluorescent functionalities and allowed the spatially controlled assembly of nano-objects in structure-dependent fashions (Illustrated in A).
(4) Biofilms-interfaced Biocatalysis & Artificial Photosynthesis
Stay Tuned ! ：）
1. Jan 2018 A communication paper titled “Programming Cells for Dynamic Assembly of Inorganic Nano-objects with Spatiotemporal Control"has been accepted for publication in Advanced Materials. (Congrats to Xinyu Wang, Jiahua Pu and Bolin An!)
通讯文章 “Programming Cells for Dynamic Assembly of Inorganic Nano-objects with Spatiotemporal Control” 被先进材料接受，恭喜博士生王新宇、濮嘉华和安柏霖！
2. Jan 2018 A collaborative paper “Programming Integrative Extracellular and Intracellular Biocatalysis for Rapid, Robust, and Recyclable Synthesis of Trehalose” has been accepted for publication in ACS Catalysis. (In collaboration with Dr. Ling Jang and Dr. He Huang @Nanjing Tech).
与南京工大的合作文章 “Programming Integrative Extracellular and Intracellular Biocatalysis for Rapid, Robust, and Recyclable Synthesis of Trehalose” 被ACS Catalysis接收。（合作者：南京工业大学黄和教授与江凌博士）
3. Dec 2017 A farewell party for postdoc Xiuhai Mao and Mr. Tianxin Zhao (graduation with a master degree), Special thanks for their contributions to IBME.
4. Dec 2017 In collaboration with Professor Timothy K. Lu group at MIT, the Zhong group has recently been awarded “the MIT Greater China Fund for Innovation”. The funding supports collaborations between faculty at MIT and their counterparts in China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.6. Oct 2017 Dr. Zhong’s expert comment on recent work published in Science Advances appeared in Science News.
7. Oct 2017 崔孟奎、任苏苏及魏世操以“Natural and Bio-inspired Underwater Adhesives: Current Progress and New Perspectives”为题的文章，被 APL Materials接收。
8. Sept 2017 上海科技大学成功承办第295期东方科技论坛。
9. July 2017 15级硕士研究生张琛（右三）在第三届合成生物学青年学者论坛获“优秀墙报奖”。
(＃equal contribution * corresponding author)