The Krogman lab is a synthetic inorganic and organometallic chemistry group working in the areas of catalysis and small molecule activation. We will focus on transformations relevant to developing the basic science behind the utilization of renewable sources of energy such as nitrogen fixation and carbon dioxide reduction. Specific themes include the study multinuclear complexes and their small molecule activation.
All areas of research involve a number of fundamental aspects of inorganic and organometallic chemistry and should provide students with a means of learning a wide range of new concepts and techniques within the course of their projects.
1. Culcu, G.; Iovan, D. A.; Krogman, J. P.; Wilding, M. J. T.; Bezpalko, M. W.; Foxman, B. M.; Thomas, C. M. "Heterobimetallic Complexes Comprised of Nb and Fe: Isolation of a Coordinatively Unsaturated NbIII/Fe0 Bimetallic Complex Featuring a Nb≡Fe Triple Bond." J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2017, 139, 9627
2. Krogman, J. P.; Bezpalko, M. W.; Foxman, B. M.; Thomas, C. M. “Multi-electron redox processes at a Zr(IV) center facilitated by an appended redox-active cobalt-containing metalloligand” Dalton Trans. 2016, 45, 11182.
3. Krogman, J. P.; Foxman, B. M.; Thomas, C. M. “Formation and Subsequent Reactivity of a N2-Stabilized Cobalt Hydride Complex” Organometallics 2015, 34, 3159. Featured in "Ligand Design" ACS Selects Virtual Issue
4. Krogman, J. P.; Gallagher, J.; Zhang, G.; Hock, A.; Miller, J. T.; Thomas, C. M. “Definitive Assignment of the Oxidation States of Zr and Co in a Highly Reactive Heterobimetallic Zr/Co Complex Using X-ray Absorption Spectroscopy (XANES)” Dalton Trans. 2014, 43, 13852.
5. Kuppuswamy, S.; Krogman, J. P.; Powers, T. M.; Bezpalko, M. W.; Foxman, B. M.; Thomas, C. M. “One-electron Oxidation Chemistry and Subsequent Reactivity of Diiron Imido Complexes” Inorg. Chem. 2014, 53, 5429.
6. Krogman, J. P., Thomas C. M. (Feature Article). “Metal-Metal Multiple Bonding in C3-Symmetric Bimetallic Complexes of the First Row Transition Metals” Chem. Commun. 2014, 50, 5115
7. Kuppuswamy, S.; Powers, T. M.; Krogman, J. P.; Bezpalko, M. W.; Foxman, B. M.; Thomas, C. M. “Vanadium-Iron Complexes Featuring Metal-Metal Multiple Bonds” Chem. Sci. 2013, 4, 3557.
8. Krogman, J. P.; Bezpalko, M. B.; Foxman, B. M.; Thomas, C. M. “Synthesis, Structure, and Reactivity of an Anionic Zr-Oxo Relevant to CO2 Reduction by a Zr/Co Heterobimetallic Complex” Inorg. Chem., 2013, 52, 3022. Chosen for the Virtual Issue on Synthetic Inorganic Chemistry
9. Hung-Low, F.; Krogman, J. P.; Tye, J. W.; Bradley, C. A. “Development of more labile low electron count Co(I) sources: mild, catalytic functionalization of activated alkanes using a [(Cp*Co)2-μ-(η4:η4-arene)] complex” Chem. Commun. 2012, 48, 368.
10. Krogman, J. P.; Foxman, B. M.; Thomas, C. M. “Activation of CO2 by a Heterobimetallic Zr/Co Complex” J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2011, 133, 14582-14585.